“To Pickle” is a verb, which means to preserve something in a solution. This article will tell you how to make Pickle at Home. Also, check out the related topics like Korean apple pie, Syrup lemons red, and Shish Tawook Wrap- Delicious Wrap in StepsHowTo Food and Drinks category.
History of Pickle
The word pickle comes from Dutch "pekel" or northern German "pokel" which means salt or brine, the two key elements of pickling. Back in those times pickling was a necessity to save food for out-of-season or long journeys especially by sea as it was the best way to preserve food for a longer period of time. However, the pickling process made the preservation of food a lot easier and more convenient to take along on long journeys to feed the hungry sailors. It was liked because of its flavors and also because it was a tummy-filling food. It also provided food for families in the cold weather.
The sharp flavors of pickle added tempting flavors to the bland bread-and-potatoes. It was more liked in the cold-weather countries because it provided food throughout winter. For a long period, it was an autumn custom for Ashkenazim to fill barrels with cucumbers, beets, and shredded cabbage. The mixture was left to ferment in a hot place for many weeks, it was afterward relocated to cool, dark cellars. The pickles would last through the long cold winter till spring until new crops were available.
During the 1850s home pickling was made more convenient and cleaner than before, It all happened after the invention of two important inventions. A Scottish chemist named James Young created Paraffin Wax which was used to seal the lids of the pickle jars to maintain the quality of the freshness of pickles. Furthermore, the second invention was the Mason Jar invented by John Mason. Mason jars were big and heavy jars made of thick glass to prevent the pickles from the effects of temperature during canning or packaging procedures. These two inventions played an important role in the making and preservation of pickles.
How to make pickle at home?
There are so many variations in pickles. You can choose any vegetable or fruit you like. Vegetables common in pickling are red or green chilies, radish, cucumber, dill, turnip, mustard leaves, greens, fresh beans, carrots, etc. Furthermore, some common fruits used in pickling are mangoes, grapes, peaches, tomatoes, apples, crab apples, plums, pears, currant, and olives. We will be discussing recipes step-by-step of how to make sweet pickles and some easy pickle recipes using the above fruits and vegetables.
Also, you can use any vegetable or fruit of your choice. But most of the pickling ingredients are the same. Let's check out and answer how to make pickles at home with some basic ingredients that can help to make the best pickle recipe at home below:
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- Cooking Time: 2 hrs
- Total time: 2 hrs 30 min
- Servings: 7-8
- Cuisine: Continental
- Type: Pickles
- Calories: 30 cal
Pickling variations almost have the same steps. Whether you are pickling any fruit or vegetable the basic ingredients will remain the same. Ingredients can be added or removed according to the need of the recipe.
Cleanliness must be the first priority in cooking. Furthermore, to make sure you are observing the sanitation, wash your hands properly with soap and dry them with a clean kitchen towel. Moreover, all your utensils must be cleaned properly and left to be air-dried completely or use a clean kitchen towel. Also, gather all the ingredients and tools you will be needing to make a sweet lime pickle.
- 7-8 limes
- 9-10 cloves of garlic
- 7-8 dried red chilies
- Piece of ginger
- 1/2 cup vinegar or as required
- 9-10 curry leaves
- Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 200 gms jaggery
- A big bowl
- Electric blender
- Cutting board
Step 1 Wash 7-8 large limes
- Firstly, take 7-8 large limes
- Then, wash them thoroughly with cold water
- Put the lime in a large bowl.
Step 2Soak in hot water
- Soak the limes in hot water for 24 hours
- Once the water is cold replace it with hot water again
- Then, repeat this step 3 to 4 times within 24 hours
Step 3Wipe lime with a towel
- Next day drain water from lime
- Then, take a clean kitchen towel and wipe the limes to completely dry.
- Cut both tips of each lime Now, cut each lime into 8 small pieces
Step 4 Apply salt
- Firstly, add 1 TBSP to the lime pieces
- Gradually, mix well with a wooden spatula
Step 5Blend well
- Take 9-10 dried Kashmiri chilies
- Take 9-10 cloves of garlic as well
- A piece of ginger
- Add 1/2 cup vinegar too
- Grind all the ingredients to a smooth thick paste
Step 6 Strain water
After keeping the lime in hot water, strain it after 24 hours and keep aside
Step 7 Prepare the Masala Gravy
- Take a wide-deep pan
- Heat 1/2 + 1/3 cups oil in the pan
Step 8 Add ingredients
- Add 12-15 curry leaves to the pre-heated oil
- Add 5 cloves of garlic (sliced) with the curry leaves
- Now add 1/2 TSP of turmeric powder to the pan
- Add 1/4 TSP of asafoetida. it adds crispiness to the vegetables and fruits
Step 9 Add the ground mixture and jaggery to the pan
- Now add the pre-grinded mixture of spices and vinegar to the oil.
- Cook until oil separates
- Once the oil is separated, add 200g jaggery to the paste
- Add 1/2 TSP of salt as well
- Let the mixture simmer on low flame for another 3 to 5 min until the oil separates again.
Step 10Add sliced lime
- Firstly, add lime to the cooked mixture
- Secondly, stir well and make sure all the lime is fully covered with the paste
- Finally, Cook for 35-40 minutes on low flame
Step 11Let the mixture mature
- Once the mixture is ready let it cool
- Then, Convert them to clean jars and cover
- Also, Let the pickle set for 20-25 days
- Finally, on the 26th day, the Sweet Lime Pickle is all yours!
How to make pickled cucumbers at home
Cucumbers that are pickled in brine, vinegar, or any other prickling solution are called pickled cucumbers. Pickled cucumbers are available year-round with the peak seasons in the summer. Pickled cucumbers are often part of mixed pickles. Pickled cucumbers are liked in wraps and burgers as they add a sour taste to the food.
- 200 ml white vinegar
- 4 TBSP caster sugar
- 2 Tsp yellow mustard
- 2/3 cup of water
- A pinch of chili flakes
- Wooden spatula
- Cutting board
Step 1 How to make pickling vinegar at home
- Firstly, take a deep saucepan
- Secondly, pour 200 ml of white vinegar to make the pickling solution
- Finally, bring it to boil
Step 2 Add all the ingredients and stir well
- Firstly, add 4 TBSP of caster sugar
- Then, add 2 Tsp of yellow mustard seeds
- Meanwhile, add 2/3 cup of a water
- Then, stir it well until the sugar completely dissolves
Step 3Prepare the cucumbers
- Wash the cucumbers and pat dry them
- Now diagonally slice the cucumbers
- Then, take clean glass jars and place the cucumbers in it
- Firstly, Pour the hot pickling solution over the cucumbers
- Keep them soaked in the solution for a while
- Your pickled cucumber is ready to be served with wraps and burgers
Your pickled cucumbers are ready with a super easy and less time-consuming recipe. You can make this recipe at home and can enjoy it to the fullest.
Pickled Cucumbers are ready.
How to make fried pickles at home
There are a lot of variations in pickles and so in the ways to make one! The easiest recipe is fried pickles. Furthermore, for fried pickles, there is no such restriction on which pickle to use. Also, you can use any pickle of your choice. It's a must-try recipe, let's check out how to make fried pickles at home.
- Pickled cucumbers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/a teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Oil for frying
- Paper towel
- cutting board
Step 1 Put oil for frying
- Firstly, take a medium-sized heavy-bottom saucepan (base should be thick)
- Then, fill the oil in the saucepan for frying about 2-3 inches deep
- The flame should not be too high. Keep the flame medium to low.
Step 2Prepare pickles
- Firstly, take some pickled cucumbers (you can take any pickle of your choice)
- Thinly slice them
- Then, Take a paper towel and tap the pickles slightly with it making sure not to over-dry the pickles
Step 3Prepare the coating
- Firstly, Add 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Then, add 1 teaspoon grounded black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Then, properly combine all the ingredients using a fork or a whisk
Step 4Prepare batter
- Firstly, Take a deep bowl
- Then, add 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Finally, Scramble the batter very well until both the ingredients and mixed well.
Step 5 Coat and fry the pickles
- Firstly, take the sliced pickled cucumbers and coat them in a dry flour mixture first. make sure to cover both sides properly. Tap off excessive material
- Then, dip the pickles cucumber slice in the buttermilk batter using a fork. Again make sure to cover both sides properly
- Repeat this process 2-3 times before putting in the oil
- Meanwhile, put them in oil one by one using a fork. Make sure not to drop cucumber in oil or else you will burn yourself
- Fry them till golden brown and flip occasionally to have the color on both sides.
- Then, Remove the fried pickles from the oil using a plat spoon or a frying strainer on a dish.
Put a paper towel before heading on the plate to remove the excessive oil.
Voila! finally, your fried pickles are ready. Convert to the serving dish and serve the fried pickles with your favorite sauce.
To conclude, from the Korean kimchis to USA's Pickled cucumber pickles are loved all around the globe. However, in desi countries like India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan Mango and carrot pickles are the favorite. people like to add these to their Daal chawal (rice or lentils) or Pulaows etc. Apart from taste pickles also have lots of health benefits. Also, the bacteria that are found in pickles are very good for human health.
Making pickles is easy for everyone. you just need to decide what vegetable or fruit you are going to use. measure the ingredients properly and the most important thing is cleanliness. Your ingredients, hands, and utensils should be clean and dried, or else the pickle will rot in a very few days. to save it from rotting it's better to use gloves while assembling the pickle. I'm sure our recipes will also help you in making some best pickles.
What are pickle benefits?
Here are some seven basic benefits of pickles:
- Pickles are full of antioxidants.
- It is also, good for your gut health
- Also, pickles help in boosting your immune system
- It helps in soothing the muscle cramps
- Pickles also support weight loss
- They help to regulate blood sugar
- Last but not the least, Pickles are a rich source of potassium
Does pickling remove nutrients?
Well, it's a complete rumor. Pickling doesn't remove any nutrients but it does add sodium. However, Pickling help to preserve the vegetables for a long period of time or when the vegetable is not available at that time.
How does pickling preserve food?
The process of preserving food by either anaerobic fermentation in brine or immersion in vinegar is called the process of pickling. Furthermore, Pickling can add a special flavor to the food by itself or mixed in with other foods.
Can I use flake salt for pickling?
No, you can't use flake salt for pickling as it has high density hence not recommended for pickling.
Can we use artificial sweeteners in sweet pickles?
Substituting artificial sweeteners to the pickles is not recommended however you can take a slice of pickle, wash away excessive saltiness and sprinkle artificially sweetener on those slices and refrigerate them for about 30 mins take out and eat!
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.